Uber driver car insurance requirements
You may also need to have a car insurance plan that meets the criteria of the minimum financial responsibility of your state – but that’s not all. When driving for Uber, you will also be covered by their liability insurance, too (but only when you are on their app). Note that this generally only covers liability claims, so your personal insurance may be needed for the vehicle if it is damaged.
If you can drive, you may be curious about how you could make money from your vehicle. One method that many people choose is to become an Uber driver – but unfortunately, most find that the requirements needed to become one of these types of drivers can often be quite difficult to understand.
There’s no need to worry, because we’ll help you through the process of driving for Uber and how you could create an account in next to no time.
Can I become an Uber driver?
While it may seem that there are many complications standing in your way, you might find that when laid out simply, becoming a professional driver isn’t as complex as it seems. Currently, the requirements are:
- A valid U.S driver’s license
- A year of licensed driving experience in the United States (or 3 years for those under 23)
- To be old enough to drive in your current city
- Proof of residency in your city, province, or state
- Have an in-state registered car
- An eligible, 4-door vehicle
- Auto insurance in your name if you’re driving your own vehicle
While it may seem like there are a number of hoops to jump through in order to become one of these types of drivers, you may already have many of these things (such as a valid driver’s license or auto insurance). For the most part, all you’ll really need to do (if you fit these requirements) is sign up and provide the required documentation, such as a license and a forward-facing driver profile photo.
Then, they’re likely to want you to complete an online screening, which will review your driving record and criminal history. Once this is done, and if there are no issues, you should be able to log into their app and begin making money, just as many other drivers have been able to do.
Will I pass the screening?
In order to drive for pay, it’s likely that you’ll first have to complete the screening process with no problems. In general, you’ll pass if:
- You have no suspended license charges or insurance charges
- A clean criminal history
- No reckless driving charges, and no accidents with a fatality
- No drug-related offences
What type of car can I drive?
Most find that this company has a few specific vehicle conditions that you may have to meet before you can start driving for them. Currently, the car requirements are:
- A vehicle that can transport at least 4 passengers
- A new car, or a model that’s no older than 15 years old
- A vehicle with 4 doors
- A car with no missing parts, commercial branding, cosmetic damages, or taxi paint jobs
- Rentals are prohibited, except for those approved by Uber
Could you make money with your car?
Countless people have been able to earn money with Uber, and if you fit all of their requirements you could be paid to drive for them, too. While it may seem like quite a lot to go through, you may find that you already qualify.
In these instances, all you may need to do is fill out an application form, complete a car inspection, and pass a background check to become one of these kinds of drivers. After that, you just need to use their app and start driving.